What are the aquarium filters?
Aquarium filter is the pivotal component for every aquarium system, be it small tanks or the larger tanks kept at various zoos and museums. It aids in improving the aeration for the fishes in the water by removing the physical and soluble chemical wastes in the system and hence rendering upon a simple maintenance system. They also help in the supply of soluble oxygen for the fishes within the limited containers that can often pose problems for them compared to their natural habitats. Hence, it is highly important to install the best and ideal qualities of filters in the aquarium system and this article details on the best aquarium filters for large tank.
Types of filters
There are basically five broad categories of aquarium filters available commercially in the markets: –
- Internal filters, which are the simplest models and are either placed simply on the substrate of the tank or mounted on one of the sides with the suction cup of the tank. The air pumped in by them aid in the process of filtration, but it is not that effective system when the size of the tank is large.
- Corner box filters, which is mounted easily on one of the corners of the aquarium and allows the water to flow through it easily. The gravel in the tank helps in the easy flow of water through the same and hence conducting the process of filtration.
- Sponge filters, where a U-shaped tube pulls the water through a sponge material installed within the tank and requires a separate pump for offering the air flow.
- Under gravel filters, which has slotted plates mounted in the substrate that conduct the overall process of aeration and filtration.
- Power filters, which require the supply of external power to run the entire mechanism.
How to select the best?
The following are the factors that need to be considered for selection of the best aquarium filters for the large tank: –
- The filter falling in either of the above-mentioned categories and working suitably for the size of the tank specified by the customer
- Should be compact in size for easy installation in the tank and even easy removal during repair or maintenance works
- Equipped with the recent technology for filtration and hence helping in effective aeration and filtration of large tanks
- Built of strong and durable materials that can sustain easily and endure properly in all types of aquarium, be it freshwater and saltwater ones
- Equipped with strong mounting structures that can be installed and removed easily
- The economic cost of the model such that the clients can afford the same easily
- Good recommendation about the model from experts, thus showing the quality and effectiveness of the same
Hence, in a nutshell, it can be concluded about the importance of aquarium filters and how they aid in the survival of the fishes in the limited space. But, only the best and ideal quality of filters must be installed such that they serve the desired purpose and the above-mentioned parameters would aid in the smart selection.